Saturday 30 August 2008

Identity. Do you believe in faith, is it a part of your reality?

Once I was this skater-girl. I had jeans that were baggy, white nike air force ones, big silver earrings and pink accessoaries á la Missy Elliot but still I was as inescure as a little squirrel.

Trying my very best to find out the person I was aimed to be. I even went through a "Rastafari" period by the age of 16.

I had "thin" dreads (not the real ones though), wore the typical black, green, red colours and all I listened to was Bob Marley. Another episode is when I was a punk rocker, with black panda eyes and a leather jacket I was ready to go and yes I'm still waiting for that day when I'll hopefully be able to ride a Harley.

Suddenly I turned 18 and I realized that none of these previous episodes of my life never felt like it was "really me". For this is when I had my big breakthrough you see.

I tried on a dress, let my natural curls out and added some light make-up and that is when I felt for the very first time this is me, this is the person I was supposed to be.

As the years has gone by I have become more aware of my personal thoughts and where I stand in global discussions. To reflect upon other people, to try to understand why they think and act differently but also to be able to make difficult decisions.

All of these phases that I've mentioned above have all helped me to develop to the woman I am today. Surely we have all been looking and trying to establish one's identity and I'm happy that I turned out this way.

For all of you who are still looking, don't give up!

Just remain faith in yourself and remember that your family and friends will always love you for the person you are no matter what you'll wear. Neither does it matter what ever colour you decide to die your hair.

For those that are still struggling in life don't give up, tomorrow will be a better day! Remember the famous saying, which I try to live after and I really do remind myself of this every day, just like the ancient Roman lyric poet Horace once said, "Size the Day".

No comments: